The Office of Employee Benefits is responsible for providing consultative services to employees on the variety of benefits programs available; assisting with retirement options including planning, enrollment, and changes/adjustments; administering the USM tuition remission program; assisting with health insurance enrollments, payroll entries; and maintenance of benefits during Leave Without Pay.
2020 Benefits (Rates and Information)
- A Biological Child
- A Legally Adopted Child
- A Step-child
- A Grandchild*
- A Legal ward*, Testamentary, or Court appointed guardian (not temporary for less than 12 months)
- A Step-grandchild or other dependent child relative
- A Child over the age of 26 and incapable of self-support due to mental or physical incapacity incurred prior to age 26
*Please refer to your benefit guide book for important tax information. Note: A husband and wife who are both State employees may NOT have duplicate coverage under any plan by covering each other under separate enrollments. Also, children of a husband and wife who are both State employees may NOT be covered twice under both parents’ plans.
How to Enroll
How to Enroll
As a new employee, you have 60 days from the date you begin employment to choose your benefit programs. Enrollment for benefits will be completed via the State of Maryland Employees Benefits Portal. You will not be able to enroll until you receive a series of emails from the State that will include your user name (known as a “W” number) and a temporary password. Once you receive this information you will be able to enroll in benefits. Please note that these emails can take up to 30 days from your start date to be sent to you. This process cannot be expedited in any way.
- Effective Date of Coverage: Benefits will be effective on the first of the month following your date of hire. The exception is if your hire date is the 1st day of any month. Then your effective date will be the 1st of the month that you started work. Coverage may NOT be backdated to your date of hire.
- Processing Time: Normal processing time for online benefits request can take between 30-60 days from hire for your benefits to become active. Various factors including receiving the enrollment information from the state benefits office, the time frame you take to submit your request, and your response to additional information that the state may request after you submit your application.
Regardless of when you enroll within your 60 days of hire, your benefits coverage will still be effective on the first of the month following your date of hire. If it applies, you will be responsible for paying any mandatory retroactive adjustment payments for periods of coverage back to your benefits effective date.
Even though your coverage will become effective the 1st of the month following your hire date you will not receive your benefits cards until the State of Maryland Employee Benefits Division has processed your online request. If you have a medical need during this time you may be required to pay out of pocket for these services by your medical providers. If you pay out of pocket for a service it may be possible to submit claim forms for reimbursement. For more information, please contact the State of Maryland Employees Benefits Division at (410)-767-4775.
*** Remember that you will not be able to cancel, change, or add to your coverage once you have made these decisions until the next open enrollment period. Exceptions to this rule are allowed only under select circumstances referred to as qualifying events. Therefore, it is very important that you make careful and informed decisions regarding your benefits coverage.***
When Can I Change My Coverage?